Wednesday, April 6, 2016

London, Day Six

Has it really been six days already? It's going too fast! I forgot to take a picture of my outfit today, but I looked fabulous! You'll just have to take my word for it, won't you?

Afternoon tea in England! Oh, and a mimosa, because it's still my birthday week. No judgey!
I found a wonderful little restaurant which I have sadly forgotten the name of, but here I had my first afternoon tea! Which, was basically brunch, but on fancy plates, stacked up in tiers. I didn't love everything, but I tried it all. The roast beef with horseradish and pickle was my fave! I tried the scones with clotted cream. I had to add jam to the clotted cream, it was kind of bland, not sweet, like I expected. The desserts were interesting. The strawberry tart was so good! The chocolate tart was good too, though. There was some sort of berry macaroon, which I tried first because I thought I wouldn't like it. It was tart, but tasty as all get out. The green macaroon was as awful as the berry one was good. I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to taste like, green tea, maybe? It was gross.

After that, I went to see Parliament and Westminster Abbey. They're impressive! We don't have anything even remotely comparable in the U.S. so, if you ever find yourself in the U.K., definitely check them out! Sadly, the photos I took of the exterior are on my camera, which I left in the room. (I'm in the lobby.) So, you don't get to see those.


I walked around, and found myself looking up at the London Eye. It's nearly five hundred feet tall, and it was so windy today, I thought I might end up in Oz! So, I couldn't muster up the lady-balls to get on it. So, sorry, but if you want to know what that's like, you'll just have to fly to London yourself. I'm already afraid of heights, and the wind was shoving me down the street. If it was that strong at ground level, I can't even imagine what it would be like up there. So, I kept it moving ...








I, legit, could have spent an entire day at the Tower of London! It was fascinating! I got there an hour and a half before they closed and didn't even get half of it in. This is a place you have to show up early and expect to spend the whole day. The original tower was built in the 1100's! It was crazy standing in a building that old! I couldn't help but think of the people of that time, and how they probably never imagined that, hundreds of years into the future, we would be walking down those same lanes, tripping on the same cobblestones they tripped over, standing in the same rooms, ogling what remains of their personal belongings and listening to their stories on audio devices. That tour alone was worth the trip across the pond.



After I left the Tower, I stumbled upon St. Katherine's Dock. Do you see these yachts?!?! The one on the bottom is huge! I couldn't even get all of it in one picture! Some of these people around here are balling, for real!



I crossed the Tower Bridge, which is not the London Bridge. I didn't know that until I came here. We crossed London Bridge yesterday. London Bridge is rather plain and boring. This bridge is decked out! You can even go to the top, where they have glass floors to look down through! So, obviously, I'm not planning to go up there. It's perfectly lovely from the base, thank you very much.


For dinner, I headed back to The Green Dragon. I mustered up the courage to try a meat pie. I chose venison. I didn't care for it. It actually tasted decent, but it had a dog food texture I couldn't get past, and I kept envisioning Bambi's mom standing in a field, looking at me, all judgmental-like. The gravy, though! I don't know what they put in it. Honestly, I don't want to know, but they don't make gravy like that in the States!

Well, I had my first afternoon tea, visited the opulent splendor of Britain and her Church, passed up a spinning death wheel, traveled into the past, traveled across a bridge, and took a bite out of Bambi's mom. That's one heck of a day, if I do say so my self!

No comments:

Post a Comment