Friday, April 8, 2016

London, Day Seven

On the bus!
One should not be forced to wake up early whilst on vacation. However, if you do decide to get up early, it should be so that you go do something amazingly awesome. In this case, I was catching a bus to Stonehenge!

This is the outer wall of the Queen's private garden. According to our tour driver, the wall is topped with electrified barbed wire because, back in the 80's, a guy hopped the wall, broke into Buckingham Palace, found the Queen in her bedroom, and asked her if she had a cigarette.
I expected the English countryside to be all rolling green hills. I was surprised to find so many trees!

We did find rolling green hills, but you can tell it's because the trees have been cleared. 
You can see Stonehenge from the road!
It's hard to tell by this picture, but the Visitor's Center blends in so well with the landscape that it's hard to see! 
I learned all sorts of things at Stonehenge. For example, there are indications this site was inhabited, and had cultural significance, as far back as 10,000 years ago! This site is prehistoric! The stones haven't even been here for half that long.


The stones were assembled using architectural techniques from throughout Europe that were not known in England at the time, indicating at least some of the people involved in the original planning were well traveled. Not only that, but Stonehenge is designed in such a way, that it is evident the builders were keen astronomers.
I had no idea Stonehenge is an ancient burial ground! Those bumps in the skyline are burial mounds. There are more than three hundred of them in the surrounding area. There were others buried in the immediate are, including in the ditch around the henge, that do not have mounds. While the vast majority of those buried here are men, there are some women and children, who were most likely very important individuals. Some were buried with artifacts, including weapons and jewelry. 
While I pride myself on being rather articulate, there are no words to adequately describe what it was like standing in this place. Two hours was not enough! I listened to the audio tour, obviously-- how else would I know all that stuff-- and I got to finish the whole thing, but I didn't get to explore the surrounding area. The actual site is miles beyond the structure. There are traces of other structures in the area that are no longer standing. If I went again, I would pay the extra to go stand inside the circle. I didn't do it this time because it was really expensive, but I wish now that I'd forked over the extra money.

 I went from the pre-historic to the ultra-modern, visiting the Shard. While I couldn't muster up the courage to ride the London Eye, I did go to the viewing platforms at the top of this building, nearly twice as high as any other view in London! It's one hell of a view, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth the price. It cost nearly $45, and all you do is go to the top, look around, and come back down. That's it! I felt like I got completely ripped off! If you're ever in London, definitely skip this one. I wish someone had told me.

I was doing good until I went all the way to the top observation deck. The building is open on this level! There's no roof! I got so scared, not only could I not go to the edge, but I kept laughing uncomfortably and tried to keep a hand on the support beams. I walked around once and went right back down!
This is the view of the Thames as it passes below Tower Bridge and snakes its way into the distance.
The London Eye, well below the Shard.
This is a picture of the Shard from the Tower of London, showing the exposed upper level.
I'd grabbed a sandwich at Stonehenge, but never got around to eating it. After leaving the Shard, I took my sandwich over to the Tower of London. I didn't go in, but I sat over looking the curtain wall, enjoying my lunch. I just love being close to that place! I may go back tomorrow for the guided tour,

Tiramisu and a Cappuccino!

Rain, rain, go away!
The weather has been on it's best behavior for this whole trip. but I saw lightening in the distance as I was tossing out the trash from my lunch, so I went to take cover. I found this quaint little Italian restaurant near my next destination and holed up there while I waited out the storm. The bad weather passed quickly, but I stayed put, reading the book I bought about Stonehenge until it was dinner time.

Her Royal Highness, Queen Jean, of Jeannieland!
Almost every touristy city has their version of The Medieval Banquet, but I've never been to one, so I decided to check it out. I had so much fun! I got dressed up, drank too much, made some new friends, and watched the performers. It was awesome! There was a local couple sitting across from me, and an Australian family beside me. They were some of the most rowdy people I've ever met, and I had a blast hanging out with them, even though I only understood about one-third of what they said.



Two of my new friends, a couple from Brighton, celebrating this young man's birthday. #teamaries
This was my best day so far! I bounced through the space/time continuum, visiting a prehistoric burial ground, then shooting up to the top of one of today's modern marvels for breathtaking views of London, and ending the night in drunken, medieval revels. I could live this day over and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment